Monday, July 5, 2010

Screaming For Change

I know it's been a while and there are like 3 shows I didn't talk about. SFU Showcase, some Wilbraham house show, and the Step Forward/Rampage show at Rad Skate Park. I'll do those a bit later because I just got back from Vermont last night and it was one of the most awesome weekends I've had this year. It was the 2nd Screaming For Change fest in Bristol, VT. My band Alert played it last year, but this year we couldn't get it together, but me and Mike decided to go anyway.

We left Saturday morning. Kara came from Worcester to get me and then we headed out to Westfield to get Mike. We get Mike and before leaving we all buy our tickets to the DYS reunion that's happening in late August. Then we head out to Evolution cafe for some overpriced, yet delicious vegan food and then head to Vermont. I fall asleep most of the way as usual and we finally arrive. We get there around 4ish and we miss some bands already including Sacred Love and Crucial Times, which I am kinda bummed about. But we meet up with tons of friends there. Dan and Justin Gonyea, Kimberly, Karl and the Montreal Crew, and tons of others. So we hang out and watch some bands, skate and do all sorts of stuff. The venue is at a place called the Hub which is like a community center kind of deal. Right next to it is a skatepark so tons of kids were skating and BMXing which was cool. We hang out all day and eventually Bane arrives because they are headlining day 1. They play an awesome set and even play In Pieces after I yell it out a could of times. After they play everyone hangs out in front of the huge bonfire. Outlast finally shows up after having a ton of van problems on the way up. I decide to sleep outside in my sleeping bag end end up being attacked by mosquitoes but fall asleep anyway.

The next day I wake up around 8 because the sun is beaming and preventing me from going back to sleep. The Vermont dudes, the Gonyeas, and I decide to walk down the street for breakfast and we go to this cafe and I get some bagel breakfast sandwich with some nasty ass tempeh but it was a meal so I didn't complain too much. After that we all head out to that water spot everyone's been talking about. It's a sweet water hole spot with some cliffs and a waterfall. The water was way too cold for me though so I didn't jump off of anything, but it was still a good time. Pretty much everyone from the fest was there. After that we head back, get some Moxie and hang out a bit more. Then bands start to play. I didn't watch a lot of bands this day but some honorable mentions were No Love Lost, Coughing Fit, Outlast, The Effort, and My Revenge! All great bands. My Revenge's set was ridiculous and it included Spencer wearing two electric fans around himself (one ended up being smashed and destroyed), the throwing of couches, couch seats, and a blow up alligator. There were also throwing of water bottles, coat stands, and just utter chaos. It was awesome and I haven't had that much fun in a long time! After that set we said our goodbyes and headed home. I am bummed the weekend went this fast, but next year will be just as awesome, if not more.

No comments: