Monday, May 24, 2010

Awesome weekend 2010

So the next day after the Anchors Up show, Mike, Kyle, and I decided to drive down to Force Fed’s last show in MA because we had a show in Brooklyn the next day and it wasn’t too far away from that. We all meet at Kara’s house around noon and pack up and head out. We stopped at Shandal’s in CT along the way for some tasty vegan Jamaican cuisine and it ruled, though as usual Kyle wasn’t into it. Or he was afraid to try the stuff, it seemed. But anyway after that we journey to Quakertown, PA and show up right before the first band plays. The show was pretty much a Chicago/Kansas City takeover with Force Fed and a recently added Time’s Up, since Poison Planet had to drop the show. My friend Garrett was roadieing for Sorry Excuse so it was a pleasant surprise to see him there.

The first band that place was the dudes in Force Fed’s new band, whose name slipped my mind. They were pretty cool though.

Next band was Razor Fade. They were awesome, fast, pissed, and covered Inside Out. Everything I love about a band!

After that was Kicked In and they sounded like a Lockin Out style band and opened with Intro Bust which ruled. I hope to see this band again soon in the future.

Next was Sorry Excuse and they were probably my favorite band of the night. They opened with a Stop & Think song and the singer wore a hockey mask for most of the set. Kids went off and I scored a demo tape, 7”, and t-shirt. Yes, superfan right here!

After that was Time’s Up and they were a local youth crew style band and they were really cool. Like the Anchors Up show the day before, there were a ton of super young kids at this show… a lot more than Anchors Up and it fucking ruled. They all sang along and moved to Time’s Up and that was cool. Time’s Up also ended with a Floorpunch cover, which I couldn’t help but sing along to.

Next was the Rival Mob. They killed it as usual, though Brendan broke his hand which sucked.

Lastly was Force Fed and this band fucking killed it. I’ve seen them before but not many people moved around or anything, but this was different. Kids were going nuts, especially to the DYS and Judge covers they did. Awesome fucking night.

After the show we stood outside talking to a bunch of people from the bands and my friend Joey who came out to the show. After that we went to some Diner and all ate, then Alert crew stayed at this dude Justin’s house who was awesome enough to put us up. I guess he’s in that band Stick Together, who’s tape I got from Joey. So we went to bed and got up around 9:30/10 am the next day.

After thanking Justin and his family for letting us crash in their basement, we headed out to Manhattan to hang out. We took a scenic route too and saw lots of trees and shit, which was cool because once we got into NYC it wouldn’t be that way. Eventually we got into the city, moshing to Anton Rough in the car a few times, and we headed to Red Bamboo. None of us had been there except Kara and Brendan, so me and Puffer were pretty stoked. Literally everything on the menu looked appealing so we kind of just randomly picked something and I got something called Creole Soul Chicken and it was pretty good. I also had a piece of Kyle’s chocolate chip cheesecake which ruled. After that we headed to Generations record store where I bought two Paintbox LPs. After that we walked around a bit then decided to head to the venue. On the way Mike was looking for some secret skate spot under the Brooklyn Bridge and we almost didn’t find it as we drove over the bridge like 3 times and finally found it, but it was time to go to the venue so we went there instead. We got there and met up with the Outlast dudes, then Razor Fade, then Caught In A Crowd. Bloodtype showed up a bit later.

Outlast went on first and it appeared Dave was stuck in London as his flight got delayed so Kyle The Mosher Delaney took up the mic for Outlast and did a fairly good job. I sang along to the songs I knew and it was a fun set.

Next was Bloodtype who had just showed up. Band ripped though through the entire night the crowd seemed kinda dead. Bloodtype played early 80s fast ass hardcore and I loved it but no one did anything. They covered Black Flag, too.

Next was my boyz in Caught In A Crowd. This was their first out of state show and they sounded ill. I loved the new songs, especially the first song they played. Stoked to play more shows with those dudes in the future!

Then we played and my bass broke which sucked so I used Colin In A Crowd’s bass. Like I said before Brendan broke his hand and iced it the night before so he was kinda nervous going into this. We played the usual set and it turned out way better than we all expected. I couldn’t really hear the bass so I hope I didn’t fuck it up (I’m constantly worried about fucking shit up) but I guess I didn’t. We did like 3 covers haha.

Brendan had to get to the bus station for 11 and Puffer had work at 6:30am so we had to miss Razor Fade, which was a bummer because I really REALLY like that band, but shit happens and we saw them the night before anyway. They opened with Fed Up by Judge so I quijcly ran in to sing along, then peaced.

We drove back to MA, stopping at Mamoun’s in CT along the way. When we got there the waitress goes, “So what edge band is that?” referring to Mike’s Chain Of Strength shit. We tell her and she goes “Oh I never heard them.” She continues to tell us she saw Youth Of Today, Judge, Underdog, Sick Of It All, and Wide Awake back in the day. Keep in mind she does not look very old at all. Maybe 25-30 range. That ruled.

We get to Kara’s and spend the night. Wake up and head home. BOOM! What a wonderful weekend!

No comments: