Monday, May 24, 2010

SNAPCASE

I know it's been a while but I guess you could say I've been a bit busy being done with school and everything. Well this post is gonna be about a Snapcase/Sick Of It All show I went to like 2 weeks ago. My friend Brian drove us since everyone else that was supposed to go bailed. We almost didn't go though because the show had sold out and I bought a ticket in advance, but Brian didn't... or he did but for some reason the payment didn't go through.

Well anyway he came to Western Mass and got me around 11 or so if I remember right and we headed to Buffalo. The GPS said 6 1/2 hours which wasn't too bad. Eventually we got there, stopping here and there for fuel and snacks. We decided to hit up this vegan restaurant that looked appealing when we googled it. We walk in and it just so happens Craig Ahead and Sick Of It All's drummer are eating with what looks like Craig's son. Kinda awkward but whatever. We both order overpriced lasagna and it wasn't very good at all. Then we ordered some dry ass nasty chocolate cake. Worst restaurant ever. We leave pretty disappointed. One cool thing, however, was that they give you a piece of paper to draw on while waiting for food.

So we head to the show and meet up with some girl who sold Brian her ticket insuring him a way in. We walk into the venue and it's pretty packed already with Snapcase's and Sick Of It All's merch table being flooded. We buy Snapcase merch and put it in the coat check which was like 6 bucks altogether. My friend Eric shows up. We'd be staying at his house later on. Then the bands started to play.

Walter Shcnejenienifnls (I can't spell his last name) of Gorilla Biscuits and a ton of other bands did an acoustic thing. It was pretty cool I though and he even covered Sick Of It All and Gorilla Biscuits, among others.

Next was Cancer Bats. Brian and I decided to chat it up with my German friend, Tim Sheer during their entire set since it wasn't appealing at all. They covered Beastie Boys we noticed but that wasn't very good either.

Next was Sick Of It All. Keep in mind that this band is probably one of if not my favorite NYHC band and I haven’t seen them before. I was extremely pumped, despite the barriers and security in front of the stage. I was finally gonna see Sick Of It All! So they start playing and kids go off. Their singer is easily one of the best current frontmen. He seemed so stoked on everything and the band as a whole sounded awesome. A lot of push pitting and singing along which was cool I guess. The only bummer was that they only played 3 songs from Blood, Sweat And No Tears which was It’s Clobberin’ Time, Friends Like You and My Life. I mean they’ve been a band for a long ass time and have many albums so its understandable, but that album is my favorite.

Snapcase... oh Snapcase. This band killed it so much that I really wanna see them again. They kind of had a “rock star” attitude, though which was kind of weird. They opened with all the lights off and “We Will Rock You” playing in the background, which everyone stomped and clapped to. The spotlights hit and each member came out and everyone applauded. Overall it was awesome though. They sounded really tight and the vocalist sounded very good. They played a bunch of songs from different albums, though I was looking forward to my favorite records which were Lookinglasself, Steps EP, and Progression Through Unlearning and they actually played some material from all of these which ruled. Such an amazing band and the crowd was real cool too. No macho bullshit yet people were still aggressive and everyone had fun.

So after that Brian and I headed to Eric’s to go to bed. We got there and his apartment was pretty cool. He had a bunch of records sitting on the table which was cool and the first thing I noticed. Also he had a bunch of framed hardcore posters, covers, and art on the wall which ruled. We stood up talkiing about random hardcore things before finally falling asleep. The next morning we woke up, talked a bit more, said our goodbyes, and headed back to Massachusetts. What a fun day!

No comments: