Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Boston weekend

So I admit I've been slacking with the posts, so here's a huge cluster.

My friend Bobby decided throw a pretty awesome show at his school, Tuft's, and it would be the last for a while since he's graduating from there this spring and he was practically the only one booking shows there. Well anyway, the line up was Step Forward, Rampage, Lion Of Judah, Give, Hostage Calm, and A Better Hope Foundation.

I had found out a little before hand that Texas thrash punks ANS would be playing Boston the friday/the day before so I thought I would attend that and make a weekend event out of the whole thing.

I took the peter pan bus into the city and got there around 7ish I believe and as usual none of the bands were ready. I decided to go into this mall thing and bought some food and ended up buying a Trap Them 7" from Newberry Comics and some manga from this anime/Japanese store nearby. Yes, I am a nerd.

So I get back to the venue and meet up with Bobby, Zach, and met this new dude named Jake. We all hung out and ended up leaving again to that mall area I had attended earlier. After that we went back to the venue and hung out outside with Claire and her friend who popped up until ANS went on. They were awesome in a sloppy kind of way and there was a fight during their set which I found hilarious especially because the fight started when some kids didn't approve of the way a kid was dancing. He wasn't being an asshole or anything he was just running from side to side into people and I guess in order to be there you can't do that? It was stupid. Otherwise the only other bands I saw was Bastardswine who were awesome and this band Fuckheads who also ruled a lot. Fun times.

I ended up staying at Bobby's for the night so we took the subway back and talked about Lockin Out and X-Men which ruled. Got to his house and re-met some of his roomates then called it a night.

The next day his roomates were throwing an all day party event in the backyard since they were all graduating soon. Tons of people I didn't know showed up and we all mingled (sorta) and then Bobby's friend Tim showed up who turned out to be a cool dude. Eventually a ton of us were there. Me, Bobby, Shaun, Chelsea, Zach, Jake, Tim and we all were hanging. Then we found out Bobby needed a PA and it was locked in some room no one had access to. Me, Bobby, and Shaun went on a mission to find it, eventually meeting up with Shana along the way and after all our efforts (mostly Shana and Bobby's) we didn't find one. We settled with using Bobby's roomate's guitar amp for an amp.

So we get back to the house and hang out some more. Bobby cuts a very bad X into the back of Jake's hair. Bobby and Shana leave to set up the show while everyone tries to give a Jake a complete buzzcut. Puffer, Kara, I think Kristin and this dude from NJ named Greg. Everyone decided they needed some clippers to cut Jake's hair because the one in the house ran out of power. So we all head out, meeting up with Marc along the way. So many people now that I think about it. I'm kind of tired so I'll speed it up. We bought clippers, went to Spike's went to some stores and eventually ended up at the venue. Tons of people were there and tons of friends. A Better Hope Foundation took a million years to get there so I'll review each band by who played first.

Hostage Calm was really cool. The PA wasn't the best in the world obviously so it muffled them a bit, but the new stuff was sweet. I wish they'd play Audible though!

Give ruled as well. Such a great band and everyone seemed into them.

Lion Of Judah was awesome as usual. Fun dancey parts.

A Better Hope Foundation I was outside and didn't really pat attention.

Step Forward ruled as usual.

Rampage only got to play a few songs because the show went way past midnight and the police showed up and shut the place down. It was a bummer, but they are playing again soon so it's whatever.

Another highlight which was kinda asshole-ish was a projector behind the bands that was initially there to show the Celtics game (who lost by the way because they suck) but after the game many hilarious youtube videos were shown on there and I couldn't stop laughing.

Saturday night we hung out in Bobby's house for a while and eventually went to bed. Marc stayed over too. In the morning we went to Cambridge since Boston's water had been contaminated and Cambridge was fine. There was some huge fair deal going on and we ate some Indian food and Bobby bought some sneakers. We went to the tea shop where Doug Free works and got some bubble tea. I needed to head back to western mass because of a show happening at Holyoke. Set Your Goals, Comeback Kid, Title Fight, Make Do And Mend, and A Loss For Words. I was gonna take the bus but while I was on the laptop in the tea shop my friend Jake Miller facebook messaged me and I asked if he was in Boston. He said yes and that he thought about going to the show so I told him he should go and bring me. He agreed and I was stoked.

I parted with Bobby and Marc and headed to a McDonalds to meet with Jake. We met up and headed to the show which was packed. I got ice cream before heading in to see A Loss For Words. They were pretty good for what they do. There were so many people there I hadn't seen in a while and some Boston heads like Sweet Pete and Brian Murphy came out. It was cool.

I missed Make Do A Mend but heard their intro of Trial's Reflections but stayed outside.

Title Fight was great. I recently finally got their music and now listen to it quite often. Cool band and the singer is a really nice dude.

Comeback Kid was cool though I don't know a lot of their stuff. They played All In A Year and Wake The Dead so I was pumped.

I was outside talking to my friend Nick "VOD" Eckstein about hardcore and shit for most of Set Y0ur Goals. Then I headed in to hear the 2 songs I know/like by then and got a crowd surf in.

After that I headed home.

Not very detailed but I'm tired of typing. Peace!

No comments: